Tuesday, December 18, 2012

a christmas letter, for a first christmas.

(anticipation.)

"look, Baby, snow!!" we rushed to the window to see the fluffy snow falling, just beginning to blanket our little wooded backyard. "this is what we've been waiting for!"
and then it struck me--this is what it must have been like, at least a little--waiting so earnestly for the child king who would deliver them. and suddenly, like a dream: He's here! He's born! People rejoicing! Angels singing!
“Glory to God in the highest heaven!
And on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests!”1
His entrance into this world,  all at once quiet and frantic, rushed and strange, yet altogether ... peaceful? A paradox so much like most baby's births, so much like your own, my SweetLos. i will forever be so grateful for this time last year that i spent waiting for you, hoping for you. like the world waited for its Savior. like we wait for Him again.

(hope.)

as my thoughts turn to His triumphant return this Christmas season, i can't help but think that the same kind of startling quietness might be with us when that time comes. the loud voice! the trumpet call!2 ... and yet ultimately, peaceful. He is the Prince of Peace3, after all, isn't He?

(light.)

we've needed His peace in even greater measure lately, it seems. the demonstration of evil in the world4 last week in Connecticut has us all reeling, still. as a new parent, and being prone to worry, my heart pulls toward anxiety and fear. and without a hope, without a promise, isn't there a reason for such great fear??
but this particular horror, for me, has been different somehow. like every time i open my mouth to shout out in fear, a gentle, holy hand puts its fingers to my lips and says "Hush, child. Remember: I am your perfect Father. I love you with an everlasting love.5 And I am still in control."
His peace, which surpasses all understanding6, has made me still.

Friends! we cannot forget!
there is a light in the darkness.7 Jesus is still on His throne.

my dear, sweet, tiny Baby,
my prayer for you this Christmas is for hope and peace and light. this world you were born into is so, so dark sometimes, so dark you can hardly see. but we have a God who keeps his promises. a God who loves us so much He sent His only child to die so that we could live.8 so when the darkness closes in, Baby, trust in Him. hold tight to Him, my Tiny Toast. He's all you need.9 He'll never let you go.
love,
Mama.




1 Luke 2:14
2 1 Thes. 4:16
3 Isaiah 9:6
4 Jeremiah 17:9
5 Jeremiah 31:3, Romans 8:31
6 Phil. 4:6-7
7 Isaiah 9:2
8 John 3:16
9 2 Cor. 12:9

1 comment:

mybkexperience said...

I found this on internet and it is really very nice.
An excellent blog.
Great work!